Last week I experimented with Swai and absolutely loved it. It’s cheap and because fish fillet is very low in calories and fat, I get to eat more per serving.
I usually buy fresh salmon but today I bring you a recession salmon recipe. I am using boneless no salt added salmon that I bought from Trader Joe’s. So here is what you will need:
- 1 small sweet potato diced and a small shallot chopped mixed together in a small sauce pan with 1/4 cup of water
- 2 (6 oz) cans of boneless, no salt added salmon
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp jalapeno chopped (optional )
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup organic medium grind Bob’s Red Mill yellow cornmeal
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- A dash of Mrs. dash
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- oxo good grip dough blender . If you don’t have one, you can use a fork and your hands to mix the salmon with everything.
For the Broccoli Raisin Quinoa you will need
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup organic raisins
- 2 scallions sliced
- 2 cups of broccoli finely chopped
- 1 cup quinoa well rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Preheat Oven at 400 degrees and steam the sweet potato and the shallot until the potato is very soft and the liquid completely absorbed.
Step2: Add the salmon drained, egg, dill, dijon mustard, jalapeno (this is optional if you don’t want anything too hot) and the potato mixture in a bowl and use the dough blender to mix everything together.
Step 3: In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, salt and pepper together. Use a 1/4 cup to take the salmon mixture or an ice scream scoop. The mixture should yield 12 salmon croquettes. Roll the salmon balls in the cornmeal mixture to coat it. Take a nice piece of aluminum foil, spray some cooking spray over it and place the croquettes to bake for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Heat the 1 tsp of oil and add the chopped onion with some salt and pepper. Cook while stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add the quinoa with 1 and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and raisins and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in the scallions.
3 Croquettes is 1 serving of about 250 calories. Arrange everything in a plate and voila!